Wednesday, August 08, 2007
WFMW - Nerdy Blog Notebook
I hesitate sharing this with you, since I suspect it permanently puts me so deep into the Hopeless Nerd category, that no matter what outfit from Ross I conjure up, I'll still never claw my way out. (And if Ross isn't overly cool, please don't tell me, at my age it's as good as I get, and it works with the budget. I'm all about skirts that cost $7.00)

I'm a notebook kind of girl. There are very few things in life that can't be managed by making a notebook. I have one for our budget, I made one for our cruise before we went, there's one for recipes to try, sorted by category. I have one of quilts sewn and patterns for future ones. I've started one to use when we begin looking for a retirement home (love how THAT sounds!) This stays on my desk, so I went for pretty.


When I started blogging, I had little slips of paper, then a file that I threw slips of paper into. Then piles on my desk. Eventually I realized blogging would work better for me if I made a notebook. With 8 tabbed sections. Here they are:


Addresses / URL's

Blog Tips

Blogger (a tab in itself)

Calendar - I keep one year of monthly sheets that have enough room to write in each day. Here's where I schedule specific posts, weekly memes to participate in (like this one), note people's birthdays or anniversarys to give them a cyberspace shout-out. If I didn't do this I wouldn't remember to ever post a recipe, or would only post recipes. This enhances variety in posting. It's the most helpful category for me.

Days of Week - this has information on weekly memes like WFMW, Thankful Thursday, Wordless Wednesday, etc. A sheet for each with the subject, the host's URL, participation specifics. It also works well for scheduling a meme you've been tagged for, or an upcoming big event like Tour of Homes or Dog Days of Summer Giveaway. Yes, I know the Tweety calendar is very mature.

Future Posts - sheets of lined paper where I jot notes when a posting idea comes to me, with room to develop it on paper. This is great for preventing "writer's block". If an idea comes to me I just jot it down, to come back to later.

HTML - notes on how to do strikeout, or blockquote, that sort of thing. I have a book on my shelf, but these few notes make posting faster.

Photos, videos - notes on istockphoto, photobucket, etc. including my passwords at those websites.

Then I put in a set of A-Z tabs, really helpful. Under "F" I have notes on doing a Flooble, which is not something I want to store in my brain, under "S" notes on Sitemeter, under "T" I printed out Boomama's post from way back when on how she created her own template, just in case I ever over-estimate my abilities and want to give it a whirl.

There are a few events in life that would not benefit from being managed by a notebook. Some things should be spontaneous, free-spirited, unplanned. In general, blogging works better for me when I plan most posts. For more WFMW go to Rocks in My Dryer.

Labels:


  posted at 8:30 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: