Thursday, July 13, 2006
Thirteen Things I Take For Granted
It's easy to get confused. I start thinking some things in my life, that are blessings, or grace - are deserved, needed, etc. So today I'm reminding myself of 13 things that I tend to take for granted, and shouldn't.


#1 Salvation - Sometimes I take for granted that He picked me, paid my penalty.

#2 My health. Waking up in the morning, getting out of bed by myself, having eyesight, hearing, speech, memory. The only medication I take is an advil here and there. I take it for granted. I also take for granted that it will last forever with no effort on my part.

#3 Freedom. The freedom to worship, vote, work, move about my country, etc. etc. etc.

#4 That many men and women are, right this minute, protecting my freedom. I have never had to sacrifice a single family member to have this protection. Many have, and will.

#5 My husband's job; his ability to provide for us. One of my dear friends' husband was laid off two weeks ago with no notice. They are worrying over the mortgage, utility bills, etc.

#6 My marriage. It's strong. We're good. The best marriage still needs some maintenance, and sometimes I forget that and don't give it the attention it needs.

#7 Electricity. We lose power often here in the East, and when it goes out I am amazed at all the things that don't work.

#8 Forgiveness from those I love. When I blow it, again; when I hurt someone; when I disappoint someone - I assume they will forgive me. Again. Then when it's my turn, I forget those times others forgave me, again.

#9 Joy. It's only when life is so difficult, overwhelming, that I remember what the days feel like when it's not. When it's one of those days when I drive down the street, with the windows rolled down, and the music playing, singing along - I take those days for granted when they're there.

#10 Being able to be a Proverbs 31 woman, as far as "bringing my food from afar." I completely take for granted being able to go to Giant Eagle and buy anything I want. I forget those years when I lived in a town of 1750 people in North Dakota and the grocery store had 3 aisles. Now I tend to get annoyed that the store is so big and takes so long to go through.

#11 My parents, who are getting older. I don't call them often enough. Don't go see them often enough. Don't tell them I love them often enough. No amount is enough. I need to do it more.

#12 Our children, their spouses, our grandchildren. They are each a gift, undeserved. We love each other, get along well for a family. Holidays are not something we all dread. I forget that others don't have that situation, that it's a blessing.

#13 Scripture - I have truly 6 or more Bibles. We have friends in our church who go to countries where they have no Scripture, or get arrested if they are caught with it. I can quote verses here and there, but rarely get the book, chapter and verse here. I wonder if I thought I would have no access to it all of a sudden, would I spend more time in it?

Sadly, there are a number of other things I could add to this list. Even if it's for one day, I plan to be more aware of grace and mercy extended to me - in the big and little things of life. To not take them for granted.

  posted at 10:00 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: