Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Deal or No Deal?
I found my twin! We're pretty close in age, and one of us has a bit more money, one of us has a bit more hair, but still we may be twins separated at birth...

Howie Mandel was interviewed this past weekend in Parade magazine. Here's what he had to say about himself:

"I need to keep busy creatively. I need to be doing three things at once. When people say they know this great getaway by the sea where there's noone around, that's a nightmare to me. I need to be around people and noise. I have the attention span of a gnat. I have ADD, I've got OCD. In fact, I'd like to buy some vowels."

I mentioned a few posts ago that I'd just stepped down from heading up the ministry at our church that provides meals for those who are sick, have just had a baby, deaths, emergencies. It was a mess when I got it, and I whipped it into shape. Having the strong gift of Administration, I tend to attract messes. I made charts, lined up volunteers, made calls, and it was running smoothly. As soon as it started functioning well, I realized I was bored. I was on the phone, not with people. There was nothing else to fix. So I stepped down, and the perfect person stepped up. She doesn't care to fix things, just keep them going. Perfect.

Five minutes after I got home, I got a call from one of our pastors. Chapter 2 is our church's new bookstore, set to open ASAP. It's all of 500 sq. feet, the books are due to arrive any day, and it's a mess! Perfect for me. I love a mess. They asked me to manage it, spending 20 hours a week there. I get to find a group of volunteers to help man it, order books, arrange the shelves and walls to be inviting, choose music to play when people are wandering the aisles. I also get to deal with the finances, learn the cash register, learn a program or two on the computer to run the store. I get to encourage people who stop in, thinking they need a book, when they really need an ear.

When I was first asked, I hesitated. I felt tired and thought it was a good time for a break. What a blessing it is to have a husband who knows me better than I do myself. He's more objective. He told me, "you're not tired. You're frustrated. You need to be busy, need challenges, responsibility. You'll enjoy it. I'll help you. Do it."

So I asked, "will you be patient with me when I drive you crazy talking about it ad nauseum for the first two months, and are you willing to put up with the house being more messy, and how about having to take me out to eat more since I won't be home as much to cook? Will you also come into the store and help me shelve books, move boxes, etc. Will you put up with me when I get frustrated and need to vent? What about when I'm there, instead of here. Can you do all that?" He said "yes." He said, "If you're happy, I'm happy. Do it."

So Chapter 2 will hopefully open in two weeks or so. There are already a few people lined up to volunteer. The books are arriving. I'm diving into the mess tomorrow. Oh I can't wait!

Howie also said, "What I try to teach my kids is that life isn't about making money or getting famous. If you're doing something you look forward to and it's fun, then you've made it. I happen to be lucky that way. The things I look forward to and the things I do (for a living) are one and the same." Now that's some deal. I could not agree more.

I'm thankful for a husband who knows me, still loves me, and is willing to help me when I've taken on too much. The clincher of the deal? I get to bring home any book I want and "gently" read it, then return it. Knowing what I spend at Amazon for books, my husband may have had ulterior motives in agreeing to this deal. I won't be here, at Blessed Beyond Measure, quite as much, esp. for the months of November and December. I still lead a Bible study one morning a week, and have to speak to the MOPS in two weeks. Right now I'm in the middle of painting the living room, and the main bathroom is next. I want them done before the holidays when kids come home.

It's going to be really crazy around here for a couple of months, then just crazy. Apparently, that's the way I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh!

  posted at 7:51 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: