Tuesday, February 13, 2007
Blessed by a Wintry Blast
This is what it looks like today, out my front door, here in southwestern PA. We're slated to get 4-8" of the white stuff, but this afternoon when it switches over to "wintry mix" it might slack off. Ice is rather flat by nature, so it slows the accumulation. For the second week in a row (last week it was just freezing the diesel fuel in the buses), we cancelled Bible study. So I get to STAY HOME! I think I feel like the kids do, when they hear, 'no school today'. Except the School Superintendent, who just moved here from Ohio, didn't cancel school. 230 others did. Oh, wouldn't you love to be his secretary today, when all those mothers start phoning, wondering if he lost his everlovin' mind, subjecting little Timmy to the dangers of riding the bus on snowy roads...?

Anyhoo - after about five minutes of deliberation, I decided I could live without a haircut and highlights today, and rescheduled that appointment. My whole day just opened up. Don't you love it when you have plans, and life happens and they all get cancelled. So here's the alternate plan, sliding into place.

#1 Bake these cookies. I've had this recipe for about 25 years, from a neighbor up the street in North Dakota. My husband's favorite. He didn't get a cancellation notice today, went into work, and gets to drive home in sleet. I've taken on the Nancy Leigh DeMoss 30 Day Challenge, to love your husband. So today, I'm loving him by baking his favorite cookies.


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, makes 4 1/2 dozen


Heat oven to 350. Mix together 1 cup shortening, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs, 2 Tblsp water, and 1 tsp vanilla.
To that add, 2 cups flour, 1 tsp soda, 1 tsp salt, 3 cups oatmeal and 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips. Mix all together til relatively smooth. Drop by spoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Devour with milk. (Raisins can be substituted if you're one of the few people on the planet who doesn't care for chocolate.)


#2 Then put this in the crockpot, because the day is perfect for it. Something that simmers all day, and makes the house smell wonderful, to greet him when he walks in. The fact that we get to enjoy it while we watch American Idol tonight - perfect. What can I say? I'm a simple girl, and sometimes a cheap date. Cooking this makes me feel like I'm related to Diane - sounds like something she'd whip up on a snowy day. (And when I put on my boots, and walked to the end of my driveway today, there in the mail was a homemade valentine from her. How sweet is that? Thank you, Diane xoxo)


Hamburger Soup, serves 6


1 lb extra lean ground beef (I use turkey)
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp seasoned salt
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
3 cups hot water
8 oz can tomato sauce
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 cup celery, sliced
1 cup macaroni, cooked
1/4 cup parmesan cheese


Combine all ingredients except macaroni and parmesan cheese in slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours. Turn to high. Add macaroni and parmesan cheese. Cook for another 15-20 minutes.

I'm serving it with bisquick cheese biscuits and a tossed salad. And no, my biscuits will not be homemade, like Diane's would undoubtedly be.

Then, I did this post last week, attempting to recreate the world in 24 hours. I did accomplish a lot of it. Thank goodness Sarah's birthday package was mailed yesterday. I thought, as I drove to the post office, aware of the weather forecast, how blessed we are to be given 48 hours notice 'it's coming', so we can all rush to the store and buy toilet paper, milk and cereal, just in case we get snowed in for the next three weeks. I swear we hear "snow" and everyone moves into Little House on the Prairie mode. If I hadn't mailed her package yesterday, it wouldn't have been there on time. Birthday packages from parents NEED to be on time. Don's Mom forgot his a few years ago, and we still laugh over it, but I think it made him a bit sad, knowing she's getting old enough to forget. Being in her 90's, she got a 'get out of jail free' card that year. I'm not 90, so I went to the post office, with all the other charming people standing in line to buy one stamp. Her package will be on time. And there are Happy Early Spring treats in there for the grandkids, because, yes, spoiling them IS what it's all about.

Since I'm literally snowed in today, I'm working on my crazy list. I started to clean the whole house, got sheets changed, potties cleaned, some dusting, vacuuming, etc. but it was my office that was driving me nuts. So I tore into it and here's what it looks like now.

Much worse than before, unless you just happen to like the looks of furniture piled in the middle of the room, with the cleaning products left out for good measure. "Clean bookshelves' is on my sidebar as a goal for the first quarter of the year, and you can see they needed help! By day's end, they should be much better, and I should have a nice big pile for Mr. Trashman and the Viet Vets truck next week.

I put out some old twice-baked potatoes, with birdseed sprinkled on them for the little creatures who will visit today. They're freezing! I noticed the Robins had returned a few days ago. Bet they're regretting that decision. I'm enjoying watching them and the squirrels sneak up to the patio table for a nibble, and it's fun to listen to my little cat make her clicky noises that I translate to mean, "I'm hungry for some bluejay or chickadee." Later, I'll take our dog, Elway, out for a 'chase-your-tail' time in the snow. The more of it we get, the better he likes it. I don't know that anyone can watch a dog chase their tail and gobble up mouthfuls of snow and not smile.

So that's what we're up to here today. The news makes it sound like this mess of winter is pretty much all over the place. So wherever you are out there, bundle up, cook something that smells good, love on somebody, even if means just being extra patient with the clerk in the grocery store. If you have little ones, and your landscape looks like ours does, take them outside. How I miss the days when the kids were out in the front yard, building a snowman. And take pictures. You'll be glad, 20 years from now, that you did.

Take somebody flowers tomorrow, somebody who probably rarely receives them. Wear something red. And be good to yourself. I'm not sure of the author, but someone said, "If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it. He's crazy about you." Me too. Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

Update: I've gotten a few comments on the quote - here it is in it's entirety. It would be perfect, written in a homemade valentine, delivered with those previously-suggested flowers!

"If God Had A Refrigerator

If God had a refrigerator, your picture would be on it.
If He had a wallet, your photo would be in it.
He sends you flowers every spring and a sunrise every morning.
Whenever you want to talk, He'll listen.
He can live anywhere in the universe, and He chose your heart.
What about the Christmas gift He sent you in Bethlehem; not to mention that Friday at Calvary.
Face it, friend. He's crazy about you."

-Author Unknown

Labels:


  posted at 11:58 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: