Thursday, February 08, 2007
"Hello, my name is Bev. I am (apparently) a N.E.R.D."
Last week my daughter, Sarah and I were chatting on the phone. Nothing big, just the day-to-day stuff of our lives. She was sharing with me the going's on of their household, and me - pretty much the same. Then I remembered - I had something SO exciting to tell her!

"Sarah, you won't believe what I just bought!" I suppose if I leaned more to the 'normal' side, she would have expected me to describe, in minute detail, some new piece of furniture, or a fun outfit, something like that. But she KNOWS me, well.

"I just bought a new Bible, but not just any ole Bible (because we all know I already have about 99). I bought The Archaeological Study Bible. Because I'm reading through the Bible this year, and I got to Exodus and then Leviticus and had some questions that my Bible just couldn't answer, and some woman last week ordered this really COOL Bible, and, well, I just HAD to have it."

Silence.

"Sarah? Still there?"

"Still here, Mom."

"Sarah! I was wondering all about Tamar and the whole thing where all her dead husband's brothers are supposed to 'belly up to the bar', and, ahem, provide her with a chilld, and they, ahem, have other ideas for that, and so she dresses as a prosti*tute and her FIL stops by the road, and, ahem, anyway, she gets pregnant, and when her FIL decides she should be killed for her indiscretion, she presents him with proof that he was the one she was doing the tango with.... so I had some questions about all of THAT, and THIS Bible, it just explains the daylights out of it. So I had to have it."

She may have said something here, to be nice. I could tell she just wasn't getting excited for me.

So I told her, "And, and, I bought another book too. This one is called, The Everything American Government Book, from the Constitution to present-day elections, all you need to understand our democratic system. Because there's an election coming and I don't feel like I have a good grasp of how everything's done, and I want to be an informed voter, not just of the candidates, but of the whole voting process. So I also bought this book."

"Mom, that's just sad."

"Oh no, Sarah, it's just the greatest thing, really. I'm so excited to have them both."

"MOM, go buy the bumper sticker, and slap it on the back of the car....."Hi, my name is Bev and I'm a N.E.R.D."

Well, thank the Lord! My husband doesn't really 'allow' bumper stickers, so if my own family doesn't understand this quest for knowledge I'm on, I'm sure not telling the whole world, and expecting them to get on the happy bandwagon with me.

But if you are out driving, see a champagne-colored Durango, and the woman in the front seat happens to be wearing a pair of those winged glasses, with her shirt tucked into tacky flowerdy pants that are too short, and a pen in her front pocket, feel free to wave. It's probably me.

Labels:


  posted at 8:55 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: