Friday, May 04, 2007
Serenely All Out of Whack
It's one of those times, when I close my eyes, I can't completely remember the layout of my house. That would be because I haven't been in it much lately. Since March 24, when we left for our cruise, I've been home exactly 17 days. Gone 21. So I'm home, barely, sort of, in a very upheaved way.

So - quick recap: Texas was FABULOUS. Miss Addison's birthday bash was everything and more. We just won't talk about how many cupcakes I ate. I don't even like cupcakes, but when you're tired, sugar calls your name. More photos of that later - they're too cute to not post. (The birthday, not me eating cupcakes.)

We didn't land in bluebonnets for the family photo but everyone showed up for church, and we headed for the outdoor fountain afterwards. Great photos that I can't wait to frame, and will likely take two years to do so.

We put over 1000 miles on the rental car in 6 days while there, leaving a plethera of bug goo on the front bumper when we returned it. The men went away for an overnight fishing trip, and we drove all over creation while we were there. Or at least Don did, I just rode shotgun. I'll figure out the metroplex some other trip.

The weather was glorious, it felt like the middle of Pennsylvania summer, and when we arrived home my hummingbirds had returned, bringing spring with them. Gloriously green grass, clematis is going crazy, oh happy day. I'm a three season girl, not really finding much use for winter. Next week I get to plant flowers til the cows come home, dig in my herb garden, and drag out the patio furniture. Burgers on the grill, lemonaide and watermelon - it just doesn't get better than that.

On the last day of our trip, we took an impromptu side trip to eastern Texas, Lake Palestine specifically. I'm told it's Pales Teen if you're a native, and I am, but still didn't know that. I was giving it the Bible pronunciation. So we spent a good part of the day looking around, chose our dream home that we can't buy yet, and made The Decision - that's where we are retiring, in a year or so. Maybe two, hopefully less. Just 15 minutes from Tyler, Texas - the rose capitol of the US. I get to be sort of neighbors with Toni at A Broad in Athens (Athens, Texas). We've talked of downsizing for years (our home is about 3500 sq ft), and within 10 minutes of looking at this house, had made plans to covert the garage to a large master bedroom, remove walls to enlarge the great room and dining room to seat 12 for dinner, add a new sunporch, a two tier deck, and a 3 car garage. Have to have room for the family and yet to be conceived grandbabies, and the rest of our family to visit us, so downsizing isn't likely after all. Oh, and a treehouse the kids can all sleep in, after they cook weiners and smores in the fire pit. Have to have that. And since the yard is so big, might as well get two new hairy dogs to go with it. You can train two as easily as one, and since my idea of entertaining pets is saying goodmorning and goodnight, they can keep each other company. There are apparently rare occurrences of alligators in the lake so cats will likely be indoor pets! I know the rest of the US talks about us, but we Texas natives are a bit weird about the state, and I can't tell you how my heart is singing to know I get to move back there again.

I have two more sessions in our church bookstore, today and Monday, to train the new manager, a badly needed hair cut and color, a luncheon to throw to tell me goodbye and the new manager hello, a church dinner to attend, then I'm all about getting this house in shape, planting some flowers, mucking out a bit.

I'm also behind 492 blog posts but who's counting. Next week I should get a bit more caught up, but there's not a lot of time for much content right now.

In the meantime, a couple quick photos of our family photo shoot, sans bluebonnets.



This is the one we'll frame, all of us looking in relatively the same direction.



This is what it looked like for much of the shoot - babies everywhere, men giving directions, and you'll note Dan and Janae, on the far right, just kept looking straight ahead with that smile fixed, in case everyone else cooperated all at the same time. Well trained they are.

Last note - even Sarah told me she was proud of me, when we flew home Tuesday evening, bills, laundry, pet hair, yucky fridge food, I got up and went quilting for the day Wednesday with my Sew and Sows - the house is a bit of a fright, but my priorities - they're doing nicely, thank you.

That serene life I'm pursuing? Just around the corner.

Labels:


  posted at 8:41 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: