Sunday, July 29, 2007
Up to my armpits in obedience
When I started up my aquarium, the man at 'Wet Pets' (cute name, huh?) told me I should clean it every two weeks.

I told him I don't necessarily shave my legs every two weeks, so it was highly unlikely that would happen, and would the fish die if I didn't? And couldn't I just buy some fish that would eat the yucky stuff in the tank? He was nice enough to politely explain to me that there are fish that eat algae, but not 'waste'. Who knew? My dog does, so I just figured fish did too.

After having an aquarium running for about three years, I can tell you fish can live a long time in yucky water. Like three months. (I think I should insert here that I do shave my legs more often than that.)

I've had 'clean the fish tank' on my marker board for quite awhile. I've put it off and put it off and put it off, not that it's really a nasty job. You do have to shove your arms down into the water, almost up to your armpits, but having raised three kids, my arms have been in much worse. For some reason I just have a tendency to put it off. Yesterday afternoon, I decided no more procrastinating. After helping hubby mow the grass, and seeings as how I already had a t-shirt glued to my chest with sweat, and hair looking oh so lovely, I figured it was a good time to dive in, literally. So I did. I sucked (with a tube, not my mouth) and scoured and dumped water, and poured water, and got out the windex, then fed lovely blood worms to all the fish to calm them down after their traumatic experience of having a monster hand show up in the middle of their world. I certainly don't want them all belly-up tomorrow morning, right after I finally cleaned their home.

Much to my surprise - it was like I'd unleashed the crazy lady. For some reason, having felt like I was helpful to Don by mowing grass for an hour, then facing the dreaded fish tank task, I was on a roll - I cleaned all the bathrooms, the glass in the house, dusted several rooms, threw in a load of laundry, baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies, and printed out the next set of photos to be scrapbooked. All in three hours. There was something so invigorating about finally doing what I had avoided for months, it gave me enthusiasm to accomplish so much more.

All this - and not even on prednizone! Who knew? For sure it encourages me to go back and look at that 'to-do' list, see what else is on it. I'm salivating just thinking about all I can get done, just by tackling one thing I've been avoiding like the plague.

Note: When I'd finally finished all the yucky jobs, I showered, dressed and headed to church, and I swear Worship was the best it's been in months. Makes me wonder if maybe I was just in a better frame of mind to participate, after a little bit of time spent in obedience? Just wondering.

Labels: ,


  posted at 10:34 PM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: