Saturday, August 18, 2007
Breaktime!
Now and then little items seem to pile up in my brain. Today seemed a good day to set them out, sort them out, and share them with you - in no particular order -

#1 More important than most of the rest of this list, Happy Birthday Barb. Hope your birthday is wonderful.


#2 Look what arrived in the mail! Shawna at Scamp's Place sent me this wonderful assortment of scrapbooking supplies. I think I forgot to tell anyone I'd won something in the Dog Days of Summer Giveaway. I used some of the stickers to make a 'Good Things' notebook. Thank you, Shawna. Way, way more than I'd hoped for.

#3 For some reason, we're not seeing deer in our backyard much this summer. I've caught a peek or two at a doe with fawns, but for the most part they're staying under the cover of all the growth in the woods. However, the fact that every morning more and more of my blossoms have been nipped off right at the base tells me they are out there. Grrrrrrr.....Maybe my SIL Jeremy has the right idea, shooting them. At least those with petals hanging from their mouths.

#4 Don got his veneers finally this week, after three months of planning, prep work, etc. They look wonderful, so I guess they were worth the five hours he spent in the dentist's chair. We're going out tonight for dinner, to celebrate the fact that he can eat again. Nobody should have to sit in the dentist's chair FIVE hours. Yes, he said it was grueling.

#5 I forgot to tell anyone ahead of time, but there was a show of shooting stars this past Monday night. 40-60 shooting stars were visible per hour, so I was crazy and got up at 2:50 a.m., to sit on the deck in my pjs and watch. I saw five beautiful shooting stars! The only background noise was that of crickets and what sounded like one big frog in the creek out back. I didn't make wishes, but it was worth getting up for. Whatever this shower was, it comes around late July - early August every year, so maybe next year I can remember to put the word out. You'll all be dying to wake up your kids in the middle of the night, I know.

#6 I have a very fun surprise for my husband this next week, for his 9th no-smoking anniversary. We bought him a new fishing rod, we're going out for crablegs Friday night (his choice) and there's one more item to pick up Thursday evening. Can't quite tell yet, just in case the word would slip. I'll tell you later next week. I'm excited!!!!!

#7 I've been quilting up a storm lately - and am amazed how quickly I've gotten rusty. The points are getting a bit nipped, things don't line up so slick, but with practice I should get better. I'm just about to cut out Landon's first birthday quilt - the fabric is "woodlands walk", caterpillars in jars, lady bugs on leaves, dragonflies. I can't wait to get started with it. Maybe someday his son will have it. It'll likely be less than perfect, but stitched with love. I'm taking a little class on binding tomorrow with Dianne's mom, Mary Ann. She's a fellow Sew and Sow.

#8 Kite Runner was a truly beautiful book. There's a scene early on in the book that is painful to read, involving s*exual abuse of a young boy, but it's critical to the book. I was amazed throughout the read, not only by the writer's ability, but the heart that book would come from. It was his first book, incredible. I expect it'll be made into a movie someday. He has another one out, and I've requested it from the library. I'm reading now, at Sarah's nudging, Silas Marner by George Eliot. I'm struggling a bit to get through it, but she promises me it's worth the effort.

#9 The mood to cook is still going strong. If I don't make banana bread tomorrow morning, we may as well turn the place over to the fruit flies. Here's the recipe I'm going to use, for Sarah, who requested it. I like this one because it added oatmeal to the typical banana bread recipe, which doesn't stave off hunger for long:

Banana Oatmeal Loaf
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cups regulalr oats
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
Cooking spray

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, sugar, bakinng powder, soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir well with whisk. Stir in oats. (I'm adding a handful of coconut here.) Combine mashed bananas, buttermilk, vegetable oil, vanilla and eggs. Add to flour mixture. Stir til just moist. Spoon batter innto an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes or til wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes in pan on wire rack. Remove from pan. Cook completely on wire rack. Yield 12 servings. 1 slice = 192 calories, 6 g fat, 1.3 g fiber. If you want to up the fiber for holding power, you likely could toss in a bit more oatmeal and it wouldn't change the taste or texture of the bread. (Recipe from Cooking Lite.)

#10 Last, Leslie headed to Texas with Landon today for some time with her siblings. In the meantime, Jeremy is living the bachelor life while she's gone, so we're having him to Sunday dinner. Something in me is crying to make fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, with watermelon - must be those end of summer yearnings. Maybe there'll be a pre-season football game, and I can escape to the basement to quilt while the boys discuss the upcoming season. We're also power-washing the deck, because we just are fun like that. If Jeremy's smart, he'll wait in his car one house down, til he hears the power-washer shut off. I'm not really expecting him to sing for his supper.

That's it for around here - a busy, full weekend. Hope everyone out there has a great one too! xoxoxo

Labels: , ,


  posted at 8:00 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: