Saturday, August 11, 2007
Making a Home
I do this every summer. It doesn't make a lick of sense, but something in me wants to stay inside - sew, paint, cook, clean, even iron! Maybe it's the heat outside that sends me indoors, for whatever reason, it happens every summer.

There's a sweet, sweet blog out there that I've been keeping to myself for awhile. She's filed under "Pure Joy" and sometimes at the end of the day, I stop over just to see what she's up to. Her blog, Pleasant View Schoolhouse, only intensifies this urge to stay inside and make our home a cozy place. Anna and her entire family are simply amazing, but it's the sweetness, the joy in simple things that calls to me. She's into sewing lately, and recommends a wonderful book, Bend the Rules of Sewing, by Amy Karol. If you've ever wanted to learn, but been intimidated, or worse - had a bad experience with a home economics teacher looking down her nose at you, telling you to "rip it out", then this book might be just what you need to get started, or start again.

I have a confession to make - my book respite has slipped a bit. I did fight the urge to buy any books for several months, but lately they've been whispering my name. So I asked God if He thought it was okay for me to buy one, now and then, to truly treasure, and I feel like I got the go-ahead. He explained to me $100 a month or more was not balanced, and we're called to live a balanced life. The few books I've purchased, it's felt like bringing home a treasure when I did.

With that, I bought Bend the Rules of Sewing, and late at night I sit up in bed with a cup of tea and plan out all the wonderful things I want to make as gifts. Anna also mentioned this book as being influential in her approach to homemaking - Home Comforts, by Cheryl Mendelson. Simply amazing book - I checked this one out of the library to browse, and will put it on my Christmas Wish List. It's not one to read, but rather own and refer to.



This one I bought, at the Half-Price Bookstore with my allowance - Making a Home, Housekeeping for Real Life, by Better Homes and Garden. It cost $7.98, and I'm over the moon with it. It's formatted like a Betty Crocker Cookbook - three ring binder, with tabs on Organization (a personal favorite), Cleaning Routines, Surface Care (I had no idea how to care for our dining room table!), Furnishings Care, Kitchen Keeping, Living & dining Rooms, Bedrooms & Baths, Linens & Laundry, House Systems, Home Environment, Entertaining, Etiquette, Records & Reference, Resources, and the dandy Index to help you find what you're looking for. A wonderful book to own and use. I bought this one at the recommendation of my daughter, Leslie, who also picked hers up at Half-Priced Books. You might also find it on Amazon, I'd give it a shot since the shelf price is $29.95.


With that, I found this product at Walmart:



It honestly makes ironing fun, and my sewing room smells wonderful because of it. There were two scents, I chose Serene Dawn, less flowery to use on my husband's shirts. I might pick up the other one, for my tops and capris! I thoroughly enjoyed ironing this:



Found when we cleaned out my mother-in-law's home, to move her to assisted living. It is completely hand made, there's not a machine stitch in it, and the few light stains on it make me treasure it more. I'm all for using lovely old things, rather than letting them sit on a shelf. I use this when I have girlfriends over for lunch, and sometimes throw it on the patio table.

So here's to homemaking - my current passion. It seems to me to be a priority God has placed high on my list, a tangible way to show love and care for family and friends. Happy weekend everyone. You might be enjoying the outdoors - me, I'm getting the yardwork done and heading back inside quick as I can.

Labels:


  posted at 11:53 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: