Thursday, August 02, 2007
Thursday Thirteen - Summer Squeeze
It's been a coon's age since I did a Thursday Thirteen post, so I thought I'd take a swing at it. This week - 13 things going on during the month of August in our family:


#1 Don's 9 year no-smoking anniversary. We celebrate big time every year, and this year I have something really special planned, but it's top secret! We're also considering buying old-fashioned cruiser bikes, to ride the trail at Ohiopyle State Park, 11 miles one way right next to the white-water rafting river, have lunch, then ride back to burn the calories. Something we look forward to every year. Worth the butt-ache.

#2 Landon's first birthday. He's little, but a first birthday is a big deal. He won't remember it, -we will. Once you're one, you're not a baby anymore. Rather, a K.I.D. Don't tell, but Don and I are getting him a red wagon, for his Daddy to pull him to local football games. Somehow, Don and I have been blessed to be at every grandchild's first birthday celebration. We hope to keep up that tradition.

#3 I'll buy lots of zucchini to shred and freeze, enough to make zucchini bread all winter long. In spite of the gardening jokes, you really can't have too much zucchini in the freezer.

#4 Caiden turns 6, ready to start school. He'll begin to learn to read. I can't wait to hear him read me books, and talk to him on the phone, about all he's learning.

#5 Sarah and Chris have their 10th anniversary; it feels great, as parents, to see "kids" marriages growing and thriving. That was the whole point, all along, as we raised them.

#6 Go to the Josh Groban concert on August 3rd. I don't understand how anyone can hear a voice like that, and question the existence of God. I only need to hear him once, but it's something I'm so excited about. I know it'll be thrilling.

#7 Meet Dianne (Unfinished Work) and Katrina (Callapidder Days) for dinner. We MIRL last fall, at Panera's. This year we're not bloggers who are meeting, rather friends who blog.

#8 Invite the two new neighbors over for a cookout with two of the neighbors who were here when we moved in. One new family is from Atlanta, one is from Texas, and we'd like them all to meet. I hate that neighborhoods rarely do that anymore. If you want a great place to learn more about simple entertaining, I found this fabulous blog. Sandy, at 4 Reluctant Entertainers, has wonderful, doable ideas. I'd love to hear that others who read here are encouraged to do the same, more visiting over backyard fences, borrowing eggs, lending some sugar. Don't you remember your mom sending you next door, or across the street, right in the middle of making supper or baking cookies? I sure do.

#9 Make salsa out of Don's tomatoes and my cilantro - that's about as much as we garden, but we do love some salsa, and when it's from plants you grew, it just tastes better!


Don's pride and joy - I forget the variety, but you can bet he knows! My job is to keep them watered, and let him know when they're ready to pick. These are the first two of the season, which we promptly ate.


#10 SIL Jeremy's birthday, and we'll buy him something to help kill deer, even though I'm not real crazy about the idea of it. Everyone has a different love language, his is ammo.

#11 Try to squeeze in a few more suppers on the deck, with the tiki torches lit in spite of the heat. Dining to the noise of neighbors in their backyards.

#12 Buy a few more watermelons, and make homemade ice cream a couple more times, because summer is just way too short here in the northeast.

#13 We'll end the month at Pymatuming Lake, camping for several days. It's a bit further than we normally venture, has good Bass fishing, and I'm planning to take my new photo printer, to sit and print out enough photos to keep me scrapbooking through the fall.

All in all, it's been a dandy summer so far; I just want to squeeze out every single bit of wonderfulness that I can.

Labels:


  posted at 8:00 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: