Saturday, November 10, 2007
What's Love Got to Do With It?
Anyone who's been spending time visiting here for awhile knows my knees hit a roadbump recently. Doctor's orders were to take it easy for a bit, so I laid off of lawnwork, painting, etc.

But it's fall - here in Pennsylvania that means leaves out the wazoo, to be dealt with on a weekly basis, and in spite of dropping into the 20's this past week, we're still mowing grass too. Our lawn crew at it's largest swell only numbered two, so when it shrunk by one, manpower was down 50%. For the past month I've watched my husband head out every single weekend to fight the battle - rake leaves, haul them off to the back of the property, then mow the entire lawn, only to have to do it all again the next Saturday. He did it week after week with no complaint or comment.

At my knee checkup this past week the Doctor's orders involve a very bizarre shooting up of Rooster's Comb, but that's so rich as to deserve it's own post. Bottom line the doctor told me I could proceed with caution, and he'd see me once a week for five weeks starting in three weeks, after which I may become someone's wake-up call! Since I've been useless for the past month, DH just assumed he was on his own again, slaying the leaf monster for yet another weekend.

I could have stayed inside on the sofa. I even spent a few minutes justifying it in my mind. I'm busy knitting him a beautiful charcoal-colored scarf for Christmas out of Alpaca Wool, and could have convinced myself it was okay to sit there knitting away, while he worked all afternoon by himself.

Alpaca Wool with recently purchased beautiful circular needles, sipping tea, listening to some nice music - or put on my beat up sweats, long sleeved t-shirt, stained hoody, the tennis shoes that are so nasty they never come inside the house, and fire up the Toro? Hhmmmmm - hard decision - which to choose?

So I, being over thirteen, and at least more than 50% of the time being mature enough to make the non-selfish decision, pulled on my lawn attire and headed out. I asked him, "so where can I start, to help you the most?" We ended with me poop-scooping (two ponys make that a regular party around here), then mowing the lawn. While I was mowing the back, he'd be busy gathering the leaves in the front. When I was done, I headed back inside the house, and checked the clock. I'd been outside for two hours, he was there when I started and was still at it when I finished. When he came inside he told me, "Man, I really appreciate you helping today. I thought it would take both days this weekend, and we got it all done. It was such a big help. Thanks."

How easy it would have been to lie to myself, tell myself what I wanted to hear. That my "gift" justified staying inside, taking the easy out. He would not have questioned me not helping. But I would have known.

Being the mother of a boy, sometimes I'm struck by the thought that my husband is someone's little boy, someone a mother dearly loved, had such hopes for - of a full, rich life that held all he was dreaming of. I'm a part of that package, and I need to respect the preciousness of his life, his one shot at it all. He married me knowing there would be responsibilities, the drudgery of day-to-day chores, concerns, but it's okay if that mother's little boy has someone to join him on his journey who will love him beyond making a scarf. Rather she will fire up the Toro and work outside for a measly two hours when she knows it's the right thing to do.

Scary how easy it is to almost miss the important stuff in the little moments of life. How easy being self-serving comes to us all. God, keep my eyes open - my mother had hopes and dreams for her little girl. Help me remember that his mother had the same for him. Help me honor that one life that he's dedicated to me and us. When Christmas morning comes, and I hand him the gift that holds the Alpaca scarf, I want to do it with a happy heart. Today it meant two hours walking behind a Toro and wearing dirty sweats and a hoodie.

Labels:


  posted at 9:16 PM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: