Saturday, January 26, 2008
In Love with Craig's List
Earlier this fall my son and daughter-in-law told me about a way of selling stuff locally; maybe all of you have heard of it, but when you're 50+ you need your kids to keep you cool. What's new, what's up, a new way to do an old thing, or how to program your cell phone! So Dan and Janae have done some buying and selling on something called Craig's List. Anyone who reads here regularly knows I'm going through a major purge, anything without a heartbeat is up for possible elimination! The local consignment store did a 50/50 split plus I had to haul it there, and return it back home if it didn't sell. I figured Craig's List was worth a try.

So I went and checked it out - got an account. Easy, easy. I found out from a magazine I recently subscribed to, that featured Craig's List, that they don't charge any fees, ever. Interestingly, Ebay recently bought out 25% of the company to get in on what they were missing out on. Craig's List will sell or trade or barter, but it's all local. People in your town who want to buy or sell something. You can set up the meeting place, tell them if your price is firm, and that you want cash, not checks.

So I went around the house, picked out the extra pieces of furniture we didn't need, shot a few photos, measured them, and it took me maybe an hour to do six listings. The listings are good for 45 days and you can extend them if you want to, or delete, update, whatever. It's really, really simple. In the past I've taken stuff and set it by the curb, but this is so easy I'll at least try to sell it from here on out.

I got my listings posted around 10 pm. Before bedtime I had an inquiry on a desk and chair, and another one this morning. (The emails can come to you anonymously so they don't have to even have your email account if you don't want to put that out there.) I also had an email on a baker's rack I'd decided to get rid of, she emailed me at 6:30 am! I emailed her back, then she phoned me, made an offer, and within an hour was at my house, the cash was in my hand and the baker's rack was in her little car.

This has a new home, and it's not where I live! One less thing in this house that we don't need!

Fabulous, simply fabulous. I didn't want or need the rack anymore. She said she decided it was her goal of the day, to find a small, simple one she could afford, for her cookbooks. About now she should be giving it a good dusting and putting her cookbooks on it; I put the money in my 'money to purchase skeins of nice wool yarn' envelope!

This has gotten several calls, hopefully it'll fly the coop tomorrow and I'll have yet more money for my yarn purchases!

If you want to check it out - go to www.craigslist.org - fabulous way to declutter your house, or even to find that specific piece of furniture you want to buy or barter for. There's even a free section, so you might find what you're looking for completely free of charge, just for the hauling it home. What's not to love about that! Do note - they don't allow listings of litters of kittens. Even Craig's List has limits to what they think you can get rid of...

Labels:


  posted at 12:25 PM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: