Saturday, February 23, 2008
Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend????
Truth be told I'm a bit of a tightwad. Even when I have the money for something I still hate to spend more than I have to. On most things.

And I'm a bit cheap. I don't really care much about shoes, or purses or the higher-end clothing lines, or jewelry overall. Maybe it comes from growing up sandwiched between four brothers. I don't care much for all the la-te-da stuff of life overall.

Except diamonds. I don't need a lot of them, they don't have to dangle from my wrists, or ears, or nose, which is good since one of my daughters recently told me I was definitely too old for a nose piercing, and I was quite capable of that 20 years ago, but that window of time has been firmly shut. Nose piercings just don't look so great that close to crow's feet. But I still really like them, for some reason I can't explain to even me, let alone anyone else, although I do wonder what happens when you get a sinus infection, and that alone may have been what kept me from it all those years. But I digress.

So what is it about diamonds? Why do I like them, only a few, but big and bright and shiny? Seriously, I'm not sure. It goes against everything else about me, and since it's so wide-spread today, I'm even relatively comfortable feeling this way. There's something just so girly about it I think. But it has to be more than that. If I like diamonds, why do I like bigger ones better?

Are guys like this with boats and guns and cars? I honestly asked my husband what he thought, and we've been married enough years that he was patient and listened to me, and answered. He came up with something about diamonds being rare treasures; that they signify how much someone treasures someone else by the giving, and he equated it to boy toys like fast, small cars.

But honestly, I'd like to know - what do you girls think? Are we just shallow? Does it have something to do with how God wired us? Is it just part of the consumerism of America seeping into our bones? If you're willing to give me your take on it, I'd sure appreciate it, even if it means telling me I need to clear up my thinking. I'm all ears. Feel free to suck up all the comment space you'd like, I'd love to hear your take on it.

Labels:


  posted at 5:40 PM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: