Sunday, February 03, 2008
Spring Cleaning Inside and Out
This time of year I go into denial - It's Spring!, regardless of what Punxatawney Phil said, or what the outdoor thermometer shows. Or the fact that if I went outside in capris and a little short sleeved top I'd freeze my tush off. There's a forsythia wreath on the front door, bunnies are beginning to appear around the house - drat reality, I'm tired of winter. What better way to celebrate being in a state of denial than by doing some Spring Cleaning. Sort of funny since the house looks worse rather than better - the basement still has that 'bomb went off' look, but I know it's all in the effort to clean it up. Sometimes you have to make a mess to improve the situation.

It all started innocently enough - my fish tank water is horrible. A visit to the pet store, bringing home six sweet little yellow fish and the next morning three were gone! Mr. Fish Expert told me the water sample says my fish are living in the tunnel commuters take into the city every day, the one where everyone tries not to breathe til they come out on the other side, 100% of the time. He said the only reason any of them is alive is because they've grown used to it, adjusted, adapted. So we're syphoning off water every few days, the fish are fasting, and I'm dropping some weird chemicals in every day, hoping to remedy the situation. Spring cleaning in the fish tank.

It got me to thinking. I can feel it seeping into me though - that need to clean out nooks and crannies of the house. Scrub the bathroom faucet a bit closer, dust the sills of the windows and the fan blades, go through the kitchen drawers. I'm amazed that God not only made the seasons, and promised us they'd always remain - he created a cyclical people to inhabit this earth. Winter keeps me inside eating soups and other comfort foods, curled up with books on the sofa. Come Spring I want to throw open the windows, hear the sound of birds busy with their nest-building, stick my pasty white legs into some flowerdy capris and get busy cleaning everything in sight.

This state of mind seems to fit well with the Bible study I'm currently doing - Conversation Peace - oh to tame the tongue! The author says we'll work from the inside out - work on the heart and what comes out of our mouths will change. Spring Cleaning of the Spirit. Perfect!

I decided it was a good time to do some Spring Cleaning on my blog too - I started by hitting "all read" - got rid of the guilt and obligation - nobody wants to be in that category anyway, I sure don't! Then I looked at every blog I subscribe to - is it one I really enjoy reading? Am I doing a good job of being relational, a back and forth conversation or am I doing all the talking? Friendships ebb and flow, even in blogging, so I'm hoping to hang onto the ones I hold dear, and do a better job of staying in touch. Maybe I'll have time to get to know some I've added recently.
It's easy to live like my fish - just adjust, adapt, get used to the surroundings whether they're toxic or not. Only when I added the new ones, who were fit as a fiddle, did I realize there was a problem. Much like the windows, baseboards, nooks and crannies of our home, or maybe my tongue or my heart - sometimes it's time to do some deeper cleaning. By the time my neighbor's forsythia bushes burst open in bloom, it should look and smell better around here, and who knows but maybe I'll even look a bit different on the inside too. Hopefully, that will come through in what is posted here.

Labels:


  posted at 10:22 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: