Saturday, April 26, 2008
Birthday Party Favors
Next week will be the two year anniversary of this little blog. I thought I'd have a birthday party for STS, even though I'll actually be on the white sand beaches of Mexico. So you're all invited to come on over, and grab a door prize. I cleaned out my bookshelves and decided to clear out a bit. Some I've read, some I intended to read, some are just favorites and I buy a copy anytime I see it, with the hopes of sharing with someone who hasn't had the pleasure of reading one of my all-time favorites.

So without further ado - here's a long, long list of books and videos to be given away. I'll leave this open til I get back from Mexico. After we get home, soon as the house is caught up to a reasonable level (clean undies and fresh milk) I'll announce the winners and send them on their way.

NOTE: I seriously didn't realize all the photos are sideways and just don't have time to fix them. Our house is a wee-bit crazy with family here, getting ready to leave on vacation, so please just turn your head as far sideways as it will go!

#1 Christy, by Catherine Marshall. One of my all-time favorite books. Precious for anyone age ten and up, with the true heart of a missionary here in the U.S. captured. I have a hardback copy of my own, held together with fiber tape, that I'll never give away.

#2 How to Read a Book. Seriously. By Mortimer J. Adler (don't you just love that someone went through life with the name of Mortimer?). "Classic Guide to Intelligent Reading", so if you are interested in that rather than dumb reading, let me know. I have my own copy.


#3 Pleasers by Kevin Leman. Began to skim it and realized I'm not. A Pleaser. Too sassy for that, but it had good stuff in it. Hardback practically brand new. I'd be pleased to send it to someone.


#4 If You Want to Write, Brenda Ueland. Like she said, if you want to write, this is a good one to read. I have my own copy to keep.


#5 Writing Down the Bones, by Natalie Goldberg. Classic on how to write, and I'm currently reading and marking up my own copy. You don't want my copy, it's way too messy but you might enjoy this one. She has some funky Zen stuff in it, but the woman knows how to write.


#6 Bird by Bird, by Anne Lamott. Another classic on how to write, and I have my own copy, and her hair is really, really funky, like that dreadlock kid on American Idol, but again, she can write. Brand new copy.


#7 The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkein. I always loved that he has two middle initials - how interesting is that? This is a fabulously fun book to read, for anyone about 12 or older. They're making it into a movie, so you need to read this. I've read it twice, and I have a dog-eared copy to reread someday, after retirement.

#8 Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas, by James Patterson. Given to me as a gift, still brand new, hardback. If you like sweet romance, and what woman doesn't?


#9 The Memory Keeper's Daughter, by Kim Edwards. Not a light-hearted book, but a good read. It'll keep you up reading, late into the night.


#10 Learning to Sing, by Clay Aiken. Okay - a little weird but I really liked his singing and wanted to hear what he had to say. The first thing he did after he started making money was buy his momma a house, and I'd like him just for that. Hardback, uplifting book.


#11 Showdown, by Ted Dekker. Weird writer, good Christian fiction. You either like him or you don't. My husband does, but he doesn't read books twice. Hardback, new condition.


#12 CD of Hillsong, London, with bonus DVD, so if you like good worship music, this is it. Great stuff to clean house to!


#13 - and drum roll please, for last, for weirdness, The Dog Sitter. DVD of stuff dogs apparently like to watch, and you leave this on while you're away to keep your dog happy. Funny clippage of monkeys in costume riding around on dogs, squirrels, birds at birdfeeders, ducks on pond, we used this the first time we took our grandson Landon to the zoo. Not as a prep, but he was fussy and we didn't have any other DVD's to keep babies happy and he actually liked it. So maybe babies at 8 months and dogs are at the same intellectual level? Anyway it's a DVD made just for dogs, to babysit them while you're out and about, escaping the smell of dog in your house.

Note: I forgot to take a photo of it, but if you're an animal lover, you'll get a kick out of this, and your dog(s) will too.

So if you'd like any of these, leave me a comment telling me which one, and a way to contact you. I'll draw numbers, figure it all out after we're back home first week of May. I'll date this to stay at the top of posts, although with the price of Internet Service when you're out of the country I won't be posting til we get back home.

Labels:


  posted at 8:01 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: