Monday, April 14, 2008
Taking Ten instead of Running Away
Last week, when I stopped to pick up my daughter for a girl day away, I thought I'd pop in and hug my grandchild, Landon. He's 19 months old, and at 10:10 am he was STILL asleep. He'd been tucked in at 8 pm the night before. When I dropped Leslie off at 2:20 pm, I popped back in, sure he'd be awake now. He was down for his nap. That's a lot of sleep!

When he is awake, he's full of energy, giggles, living life with gusto. Running here and there, investigating and engaging in everything around him. There's no halfway for him - either fully awake or fully crashed.

I'm reading "Meet Me at the Well" by Virelle Kidder, a book I noticed in my bookclub offerings. The subtitle got me 'Take a Month and Water Your Soul'. So I'm doing that during the month of April, after a jam-packed winter. Summer promises to be full of home repairs, yard work, etc so I decided to coast just a bit in April, although my version of coast likely isn't anything that would make you jealous. Paint all the baseboards and doors in the house white, paint the two bathrooms neutral linen, go through all my clothing to sort and toss, and do some spring cleaning of those areas that generally get a lick and a promise. It's the Bev-version of 'coasting'.

In a chapter titled, "Would it be so bad to run away?" Virelle suggests 'two therapies that worked wonders' for restoration. Sleep and laughter.

She suggests I imitate my grandson Landon, and sleep with gusto. Take a nap daily, between twenty and thirty minutes, and a decent night's sleep, preceeded by something funny on TV or a light-hearted book (while avoiding the news), piling in bed with a snack and some tea, snuggling up under nice sheets and a comforter in a pleasant, peaceful bedroom, and sleeping 'like a baby'.

She even suggests I 'walk a wider circle around those whose regular conversations pull you under when you're paddling hard to keep your head above water'. That's certainly food for thought.

DH had a last minute trip out of town come up, so I'm starting today with painting myself out to the garage, putting a fresh coat on the basement stairs, then taking a break by going to open knitting for a bit. Back home to paint DH's bathroom, then by gosh and by golly, I'm going to grab that new Mitford book, curl up on the sofa, and drift off for ten or twenty minutes. Much better than completely running away.

I want to feel refreshed like Landon does, ready to grab life, and everything around me. Surprisingly, that's going to involve an adult version of curling up with a wubbie for just a bit.

Labels:


  posted at 7:38 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: