Friday, April 04, 2008
We're Virtually Twins
There's nothing that feels as creepy as pulling on yesterday's wet swimsuit, and since we're leaving for Mexico in about three weeks, I needed to buy an extra one. Pulling on a swimsuit is traumatic enough, without it being wet and full of sand from yesterday's visit to the beach. I headed to Land's End to do some browsing. They're known for carrying swimsuits that will put everything back where it was about twenty years ago, or before you had children. That's worth quite a bit in my book. I'd received the catalog in the mail a week or so ago, and it had the cutest tankinis. Perfect for anyone with tummys that could use some coverage, in other words for about 95% of the population over 21. And in cute patterns and colors other than black and navy blue, which are just a bit too matronly for my taste.

I found an adorable three piece set, the top, bottoms and a little skirt that can be thrown on for walks down the beach, or sitting in the little restaurant next to the pool. It took me about two seconds to choose a little skirt over trying to do 9,000 leg lifts or walk 500 miles between now and departure date to deal with the less than toned condition of my thighs.

Girls, you have to go to this website, regardless of whether you have a trip in your future or not, or plan to ever wear a swimsuit again. It was such fun! When I got there, I was asked to sign up for a Virtual Model, or "online twin" as they called her. (That's, sort of, me on the upper left, the only time you'll ever see me online in undies.) I typed in all my bodily statistics, including length of torso, weight, height, year I was born. I chose my face shape, hairstyle and color. It was fun to watch her morph as I added inches here and there, and see what happened when I clicked on "more mature". After I made her look like me, I chose the swimsuit, and clicked 'try on', and sure enough she did! There she was with my outfit on, and I was able to change colors, patterns, etc. and then turn her profile to see how non-flat my tummy would look in that particular suit.

When I'd finished all of this, I clicked on "ask for size suggestion" and lo and behold it told me 'size 6'. Come on! My daughters, who are 20 and 25 years younger than me are size 6ish, so I knew that wasn't right; obviously guessing at measurements isn't the best plan. So I went in and added an inch all over, and it told me size 8. That's still pretty darned terrific, and when I said, let's go with a size 10, she tried it on, and I was able to see what it would look like. (And if I actually look that good on the beach, that would be pretty fabulous too.)

Clicking on 'checkout', and seeing the total - completely worth it. To cover up a bit, to have everything put back where it's supposed to be, and to have someone, anyone, tell me to buy a size 6 - that hasn't happened since I was in middle school! Want to have fun with this - GO HERE. You can see the generic virtual female, you just have to go in and make your adjustments. I've always thought it would be fun to be a twin, now I have one that can show me what I'd look like with red hair, or if I gain or lose ten lbs, and she can try on clothes to my heart's content. Most ego-boosting 45 minutes I've spent in a long time!

Labels:


  posted at 10:44 PM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: