Friday, April 04, 2008
You Can Totally Trust Me On This
Tofu - soybean curd. I had to look it up, because there's not much of a health nut living in me, I eat what I want, when I want, and the fact that I'm almost as tall as the average man, have a higher metabolism and a higher than normal energy level am a bit hyper, allows me to do so. Plus I just thought tofu was a bit weird, you know? And, like many of those vegetables I can't even name, I didn't know what to do with it if I did buy it? (I mean really, does anyone ever buy ugli fruit on purpose?)

But I knew it was good for you, DH takes cholesterol reduction medication, but I still try to take good care of him, so we limit the dinners made from what we call 'living sacrifices' around here. I bought it, brought it home, it lasts almost forever by the way, and that's good because it took me that long to get up the gumption to use it for something.

I had no clue what to do with it. I went to allrecipes.com - great, great website when you don't know what to make for dinner. Typed in "Tofu" and hot and sour soup came up (so that's what those fluffy white things are!), several other dishes, and then this came up - Glazed Tofu Meatloaf. I had ground turkey and all the other ingredients, so I decided to just go for it. Subway is right at the bottom of the street if it's awful. And we've done that a few times, thrown dinner away and driven down the hill.

I.T.W.A.S.F.A.B.U.L.O.U.S.! I kid you not. When I prepared it, it looked very light-colored. You top it with soy sauce and brown sugar and dijon mustard and that gave it some color. Before the topping was added it looked about like I do when you put me on a beach, any beach. I blend in with the sand. If I actually make the mistake of wearing a light-colored bathing suit then you might not see me at all, which isn't necessarily a bad thing either but I digress.

After it was done, I let it 'rest', so it wouldn't fall apart when I took it out of the loaf pan. I'd made mashed sweet potatoes and green beans to go with it, to add some color to the plate. Because we're all fancy like that, making sure the plates are visually pleasing too.

DH took a few bites of it, he rarely asks what anything is, but rather like the normal male, just stops talking, starts eating until they've finished their entire dinner in five minutes, and they lift their heads to ask if there's more. He stopped and told me, 'this is good. Really good.'

So I got brave and told him, 'it's turkey tofu meatloaf.' Without missing a beat he said, 'it's the best meatloaf I've ever had. Is there more?'

So here's the strangest recipe I'll probably ever post on this blog, but I promise it's been tested by a male who grew up on 'living sacrifices' like pot roasts, with mashed potatoes and gravy. If he liked it, everyone should too. You just have to decide whether to ever tell the truth as to what it's made of.

Glazed Tofu Meatloaf.
(Submitted by Makanini who I don't know but I liked her name.)

1 - 14 ounce pkg firm tofu, drained and mashed
11 ounces ground turkey
2 Tbsp and 2 tsp dry bread crumbs
1 - 1 ounce envelope dry onion soup mix
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp minced green pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp and 1 tsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp dijon mustard

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a loaf pan. (This is because it's so low-fat.) In bowl mix tofu, turkey, bread crumbs, soup mix, green pepper and eggs. Place mixture in loaf pan. Bake meatloaf 30 minutes in the preheated oven.

In saucepan over low heat, blend brown sugar, soy sauce and mustard. Drizzle mixture over loaf, and continue baking 25 minutes, or to internal temperature of 180 degrees. Let meatloaf rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Sit down to previously set family dining surface. Say grace. Do not tell family what they are eating, unless of course there's a subway at the end of your street too. Enjoy!

Labels:


  posted at 7:47 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: