Sunday, September 28, 2008
Not Giving Anything More
Felicia Riley - 39 year old, single mother of three - actually that's not right. She was separated from her husband, and while he had the three children, Kate - 8, Michael - 6, and Julia - 4, he shot and killed each of them, then himself, back in February of 2007. So she's technically a widow and her three children are deceased. Before he killed the children and himself, he changed the beneficiary on his insurance policy so she would have no proceeds from it.

I read Ms. Riley's story on the front page of the paper this past weekend. The awfulness of the story isn't what struck me the most. Awful things happen every day in this world. What struck me is her response to it. Here's what she had to say:

The first thing I think of every day is just breathe and then everything else is just extra. When they were gone, I felt, why am I here, what's my purpose? Then I came to realize I'm still their mother. I'm living for them. I need to keep going for them and not let them be forgotten."
That was heart-wrenching, but not the part that really spoke to me, the part I'll remember a year or more from now. It's this:

'She said hating him for what he did would only cause more pain.' "The honest truth is that I choose not to give him anything more, including filling my life with anger. I continue to pray for the ability to forgive...and spend no energy from what is left of my life on anger that would give him continued control over me."
The article said she was 'anchored by her faith and buoyed by her support system, she finds purpose in giving of herself in volunteer and advocacy work.' "It gives me more purpose, to play with children, paint a school, construct something, give out beans and rice, pray with people. I'm here for a reason." She says her mantra is a version of Hebrews 12:1 - "let us run the race that is before us and never give up."

I missed church this weekend, or maybe I didn't. Maybe I attended Sunday morning, sitting at my kitchen table, sipping coffee and reading the Sunday paper.

Labels:


  posted at 8:06 AM
 





Subscribe in a reader
Past Chats
  • April 2006
  • May 2006
  • June 2006
  • July 2006
  • August 2006
  • September 2006
  • October 2006
  • November 2006
  • December 2006
  • January 2007
  • February 2007
  • March 2007
  • April 2007
  • May 2007
  • June 2007
  • July 2007
  • August 2007
  • September 2007
  • October 2007
  • November 2007
  • December 2007
  • January 2008
  • February 2008
  • March 2008
  • April 2008
  • May 2008
  • June 2008
  • July 2008
  • August 2008
  • September 2008
  • October 2008

  • Filed Away Neatly
    Busy Buzz
    Creative License
    Dusty Stuff
    Family Affair
    Girl Talk
    Glimpse of the Heart
    Photo Album
    Silliness
    Slavin' Over the Stove
    The Price is Right

    Search This Blog


    Miscellaneous

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.

    Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

    About Me


    Name:
    Girl Raised in the South

    I have a deep, abiding love for full octane coffee, sewing, knitting, quilting, reading, cooking, gardening, God and my family - not in that order.

    My Complete Profile

    Family is Everything
  • A Chelsea Morning - Barb
  • And Baby Makes Three - Leslie
  • Creative Worship - Chris
  • Flight Song - Mom
  • In The Midst of It - Sarah
  • At A glance - Krissy
  • In A Moment - Mandy

  • Recent Comments

    Fruit of the Spirit

    Family Friendly


    Family Friendly Blogroll []

    Family Friendly Blogroll [-]

    Credits
    Blog Design by:


    Powered by:
    Powered By Blogger

    Meter by: